To prepare for the vocals for Little Mermaid: Look up the Broadway version of the songs from YouTube, or get the Broadway album from your iTunes or Amazon accounts and learn EVERY song.
THE PROPER “LOOK”
- No Hats
- Hair pulled back away from your face at all times
- Wear comfortable clothes that you can dance in
- Respectful attitude
- Sit quietly until it is your turn
- Be willing to try what is expected of you
- Do not leave the room until you are dismissed
- Do not enter a room while someone is performing
- Do not talk while someone is performing
- Never talk while a director is talking
- Do not roll your eyes at others
- Do not judge others
- Do not gossip
- Always be kind and gentle to everyone
Become a better singer and speaker. Free online resources are available from The Vocal Coach. Practice exercises 10-23 every day, beginning as soon as possible. If you already have been practicing with the Complete Breathing CD add the COMPLETE TONE CD to your daily routine.
WARM UP EVERY DAY! In order to protect and better yourself as you grow, you MUST warm-up your singing and dancing muscles properly before you workout! Do not neglect the importance of warming up before rehearsals and performances!
You want your voice to be pleasing to listen to:
- Vowel formation
PRACTICE IN FRONT OF A MIRROR!
You want yourself to be interesting to look at:
- Core strength
- Fluidity of movement
Reading about the show, the characters and preparing your lines PRIOR TO the day of auditions will go a long way to build your own self-confidence. Dress in comfortable clothing and make sure your hair is pulled away from your face.
Projection is always a major consideration. If you are loud, this increases your chances for a speaking part or solo more than anything else.
AUDITION SONGS, LINES & DANCE
All will be taught at the mandatory Audition Prep. From the moment you begin the audition process, the Directors are observing your vocal range, intonation, character, technique, attitude and just how “quick a study” you are.
- You will be asked to sing the audition song
- You will be allowed to sing one of the other audition song phrases of your choice – TBA
- You will be allowed to say one of the audition lines of your choice – TBA
Callback lines will be distributed at auditions. Practice these lines and be ready to recite them at callbacks. Read the book or rent the movie to get an idea of the characters.
This is musical theatre and you need to be bigger than life. Watch some Tony Award performances on youtube to get the right idea.
If you have great character but the part you are being considered for has a solo that your voice cannot carry then that takes you out of contention for that part. On the other hand, if you have a beautiful voice but little or no character, that will take you out of contention for most parts.
The directors are looking for energetic entertainers! You must be able to paint a picture for the audience with your body, facial and vocal expression. We must be able to clearly hear and understand every word and mood you are trying to convey.