KCMT Presents “Shrek the Musical” in May 2023!
- Performances: May 4-21, 2023
- Performing at North Kitsap Auditorium, 1881 NE Hostmark Street, Poulsbo
- Special Performances: NK Fishline and Foster Children Benefits dates to be announced.
It’s a “big bright beautiful world” as everyone’s favorite ogre, Shrek, leads a cast of fairytale misfits on an adventure to rescue a princess and find true acceptance.
Beauty is in the eye of the ogre in Shrek The Musical, based on the Oscar-winning DreamWorks Animation film and fantastic Broadway musical. Part romance and part twisted fairy tale; Shrek JR. is an irreverently fun show with a powerful message for the whole family.
Once upon a time, in a faraway swamp, there lived an ogre named Shrek. One day, Shrek finds his swamp invaded by banished fairytale misfits who have been cast off by Lord Farquaad, a tiny terror with big ambitions. When Shrek sets off with a wisecracking donkey to confront Farquaad, he’s handed a task — if he rescues feisty princess Fiona, his swamp will be righted. Shrek tries to win Fiona’s love and vanquish Lord Farquaad, but a fairytale wouldn’t be complete without a few twists and turns along the way.
WANT TO BE IN OUR NEXT SHOW?
Online cast enrollment for “Shrek the Musical” will open at noon on Tuesday, January 24, 2023, and will run through Tuesday, February 7 at 6 PM. Online cast enrollment includes updating (or registering) the actor’s information, signing student waivers, and enrolling in an audition prep session. Parents are required to attend the in-person audition prep session with their child on February 7, 2023, to finalize payment, security, and volunteer opportunities.
Audition materials can be found by clicking on the AUDITIONS TAB.
REGISTRATION/AUDITION PREP SESSIONS
During this time you will be taught and coached on the songs, lines and dance to be performed for your audition. There are multiple registration sessions (see list below) to choose from and you can sign up for the one that works for your family when you enroll online. All enrollment is handled online via “STUDIO DIRECTOR” and should be completed before arriving. Please remember to bookmark this link as it is also where you can order items from our online store, such as extra production shirts.
A parent or guardian must be present during Audition Prep. Each session takes approximately an hour and a half, and at the conclusion, you will receive your audition appointment which includes the date and time of your audition. If you have any questions or experience difficulty with registration, please email our Auditions Manager. The sessions will run as follows:
- SESSION 1, 3:30 – 5:00 PM
- SESSION 2, 4:45 – 6:15 PM
- SESSION 3, 6:00 – 7:30 PM
- SESSION 4, 7:15 – 8:45 PM
KCMT AGE REQUIREMENTS
- KCMT is open to performers eight (8) years of age (by the date of auditions) through age 18.
- Under-aged siblings of KCMT veteran actors may register on a case-by-case basis. Please get in touch with our Auditions Manager for details.
- Non-refundable Registration Fee = $50
- First Child = $200
- Each Additional Child = $150
Each tuition includes a participant’s t-shirt, a printed copy of our full-color program, and a non-personalized DVD (or digital copy) of your cast’s performance.
For those who are in financial crisis, single-parent families, a parent in the military, a parent out of work, or a participating foster child. KCMT may be able to help offset PART of the tuition cost if funds are available. To apply, please follow this online registration link and pay the $50 registration fee. Then download the KCMT Scholarship Request Form and follow the instructions for submitting your request as indicated.
- Within TWO weeks of AUDITION DAY – Refunds will be granted, including tuition and volunteer deposits, minus the $50 registration fee.
- AFTER TWO weeks of AUDITION DAY – NO Refunds will be granted, including all tuition.
- January 24, ONLINE Registration opens @ 6 PM
- February 7, Required Registration is due
- February 9 and 11, Auditions by assigned appointment
- February 13-18, Callbacks by assignment
PLEASE NOTE: You must attend the following:
- Required Registration February 7, 2023, when your paperwork and deposit fee are due by 6 PM
- Every Callback you are invited to attend
- Every teaching rehearsal (new blocking, choreography and vocal material)
Audition appointments for all roles are required including chorus and will be assigned by the Audition Manager.
Callbacks – attendance at Callbacks is required in order to be considered for a lead role. Actors must attend the callback(s) for any role(s) indicated by the director. If an actor misses a callback for a specific role, the actor will not be considered for that role.
TO PREPARE FOR YOUR AUDITION
Please check back after January 15, 2023, for links to audition lines, lyrics and audio files to use in preparation for your audition.
SPECIAL NOTES FOR DANCERS
- If you wish to be considered as a specialty dancer, please be sure to indicate so on your online registration that you are available EVERY Friday, 4:30-7:00 PM.
- Dance Callbacks will be Friday, August 12, 3:00-7:00 PM, by appointment.
Please check out KCMT tips HERE.
- February 21 – May 3, 2022
- Tuesdays & Thursdays, 4:45 – 6:45 PM
- Fridays – Dancers, 4:30 – 7 PM
- Saturdays, 10-1 Cast CD, 1-3 Leads, 3-6 Cast AB
Please always check the online Rehearsal Calendar for all current schedules. Updates are also sent via email at the beginning of each week.
Each actor can expect to spend at least 3 hours, but no more than 10 hours, in rehearsal each week. They will learn dancing and vocals for chorus numbers, as well as scene blocking and character development. Rehearsals are Tuesdays and Thursdays, 4:45 – 6:45 PM, and a three-hour block on Saturdays, either 10 AM – 1 PM or 3 – 6 PM, depending on your cast assignment. Specialty dancers and leads may have additional Friday rehearsals. Actors are expected to attend all scheduled rehearsals.
Please pick your child up on time after rehearsal. Actors should only be at KCMT (rehearsals and performances) only when they are scheduled. We are not equipped to watch children who are not actively involved in rehearsals/performances.
The Conflict Calendar plays an important role in casting a show. “Conflicts” that arise AFTER a show is cast are the same as “missing a rehearsal.” All KNOWN conflicts must be declared at registration. Absences arising after the Conflict Calendar is submitted, must go through the Attendance Supervisor and could jeopardize your casting in the production. You can download a copy of the Conflict Calendar KCMT Parent Handbook August 2022. It will also be emailed to you when you complete your registration.
Production Weeks are the last two weeks on our rehearsal schedule. Leads are required not to participate in any overnight activities during production weeks. We require that you clear your child’s schedule of all outside activities during production weeks. Extra activities during production weeks sap the energy from their performances.
If at any time an actor or actress needs to be replaced due to unforeseen circumstances, permission and arrangements for their replacement MUST be coordinated through a Director.
KCMT’s 2022 casts of ELF the Musical!
Our cast list will be available two weeks after the cast list is announced.