You will find the below-listed policies and more outlined in the KCMT Parent Handbook February 2022.
ATTENDANCE & REHEARSALS
It is required to attend all schedule rehearsals, with exceptions made for school activities and family emergencies. Missing rehearsals affects your child’s chorus partner, cast mates and the overall quality of the show. If your child misses more than three (3) rehearsals, he or she will be placed on probation. You and your child will need to decide if missing a rehearsal warrants placing your child in jeopardy of losing his/her part. Possible unwarranted absences would include birthday parties, sporting events and optional school events.
- All missed rehearsals—including already scheduled conflicts—must include a notification/reminder to the Attendance Manager via email 24 hours before the missed rehearsal; or in the case of illness, as soon as possible.
- It is requested that you provide a “stand in” who will teach them what they have missed. If your child has been “double-cast,” they may arrange to learn what they have missed with their double.
- Rehearsal schedules are subject to change to make the most productive use of everyone’s time—However, there can and will be “down” times during rehearsals that cast members should expect.
- Cast members are required to participate in all of their group performances.
Please pick your child up on time after rehearsal. Actors should only be at KCMT (rehearsals and performances) only when they are scheduled. We are not equipped to watch children who are not actively involved in rehearsals/performances.
CASTING A SHOW
Many roles will be “double cast” allowing more children the opportunity to experience speaking and solo parts. Every child will be in the chorus. Those who get a major speaking part will also be in the chorus of their opposite cast.
- The major speaking parts will be given to those who can carry the solo for that part, have the best acting ability, have only minor schedule conflicts (if any), a great attitude and they are the right height.
- If we had trouble with your child’s attitude, attendance, line memorization or blocking in the last show – he/she probably will not get a major lead in this show.
- If your child is new to KCMT, he/she will probably be chosen for the chorus of this first show.
Please know that at KCMT your role as a volunteer does not affect the role your child will be chosen to play. All roles are casted by proper fit and talent.
WITHDRAWAL & REFUND POLICIES
We realize that “life happens” and sometimes a child needs to withdraw from a show. Should you decide to withdraw from the show, the following policies apply.
- Withdrawing from the production within two weeks of audition day – Refunds will be granted, including tuition and volunteer deposits, minus the $50 registration fee.
- Withdrawing from the production once the third week of the show has started – NO Refunds will be granted for the registration and tuition fees. Your volunteer deposit WILL be refunded in full.
On Registration Night, a completed and signed CONFLICT CALENDAR must be submitted. If an actor’s schedule already has three (3) or more conflicts, they would be missing key rehearsals and it would be best to consider waiting for a different production when their schedule isn’t so full.
ABSENCES/CONFLICTS ARE NOT PERMITTED DURING DRESS REHEARSAL WEEK OR PERFORMANCES, except in the event of an illness or emergency. In the event of illness or emergency, Directors will determine whether or not that absence requires a stand-in/replacement. ONLY a director may determine which performer will replace the absent cast member.
Further information is found in the Parent Handbook.
YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING & BACKGROUND CHECKS
We want you to know that behind everything we do, your child’s safety is our priority. We ask parents to take an active role in ensuring our KCMT cast members’ safety. Because of this, ALL PARENTS whether a volunteer or not will be asked to have their photo taken and complete a WSP background check.
YOUTH PROTECTION TRAINING
At KCMT, protecting our children is one of our paramount values. We ask that you support us in our desire to ensure the safety of all our children when they are in our care. In 2016, the KCMT Board of Directors adopted a mandatory requirement that ALL our parents and volunteers MUST complete an online training program to meet this Child Protection criterion.
Should a family decide at registration they do not want to or cannot volunteer at all and wish to have their $200 Volunteer Check immediately deposited, they will be exempt from this Youth Protection Training requirement. They will also NOT have access to the rehearsal facility or backstage during a production unless accompanied by an authorized escort.
In order for a child to be allowed to participate in an audition, their parent(s) must complete and turn in a YPT for any adult who will volunteer (at least one certificate) AND provide the $200 deposit check (to be either returned to them or cashed by us depending on their volunteer hours). Or, have “opted out” as stated in the above paragraph.
This FREE, online training course is accessed via Boy Scouts of America training site. It should be completed by both parents/guardians.
Here are the steps:
- Go to the website: https://my.scouting.org
- Follow the Steps to “Create an Account” > Click on the upper-left “Menu” and select “My Dashboard”
- The “Youth Protection Training” will be at the top of the list (and the ONLY one you need to complete)
- On the far right, click on “Take Course” and follow the instructions
- When finished, follow the instructions for “Print Certificate” – be mindful that printing the certificate can only be completed from a desk/laptop.
Bring your printed certificate to Registration Night.