KCMT: Where Every Child Can Shine!
Kitsap Children’s Musical Theatre (KCMT) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, semi-professional theatre production company for children, run entirely by parent volunteers. KCMT was founded in 2000 by Executive Director Kerby Criss to provide children in Kitsap County with the opportunity to grow and develop in the theatrical arts and perform onstage, as well as offer quality, wholesome entertainment for the community.
KCMT encourages live-stage performance for youth, ages 8-18, as this type of experience has proven beneficial to personal development and success. KCMT puts on 3-4 Broadway-type productions each year, and insists on a G-rated atmosphere during rehearsals and a professional atmosphere during performances.
Every child who auditions is admitted into the show, and leading roles are quadruple-cast to give more youth a chance to experience speaking parts and solos.
KCMT’s Teen Staff is made up of veteran KCMTers, and do adult jobs from the planning stages all the way through show time. They are trained and respected. Some KCMT teens go on to paying jobs in theatre arts education or in the theatre industry. Others have become leaders in their communities and at work.
KCMT is an extended family for everyone involved. Entire families, from parents to toddler siblings, are part of the KCMT family. We all work together for the same goal. It is common to see the older kids interacting with the younger kids. The parents are right in there with them as part of the Production Team.
Our mission is to provide opportunities for youth to develop life skills, character, and musical theatre excellence through the experience of Broadway-style production.
KCMT is widely recognized as a premier performing arts organization, where all children have access to the joys and growth that come with active participation in the production of musical theatre.
OUR CORE VALUES AND GUIDING PRINCIPLES
- To aspire to excellence in music, drama, and dance.
- To value the potential in every child.
- To be fair and respectful in everything we do.
- To participate together toward the same goal and strengthen family bonds.
- To provide all children the opportunity to grow in a safe, challenging, and supportive environment.
- To produce great experiences that will create memories and friendships that last a lifetime.
- To value the partnerships and relationships we foster with other organizations in our community.
- To understand that community culture is defined by the arts available and produced by its people.